February 10, 2018

Lovely Things

Written By:  Andrew Eide

Although I can come across as being insensitive, and I’ve even been called cynical, I am not those things.

For the reader who doesn’t know the main definitions of the word cynical here is what it means. To be cynical means you believe that people are motivated by self-interest and you are distrustful of human sincerity or integrity. You may be doubtful that something will happen or whether it is worthwhile.

Do I believe most people are motivated by self-interest and I tend to distrust most people? Yes to a certain extent. I’ve been hurt enough times to err on the side of being cautious so that I reduce the chance of being hurt again. When you have politicians who are money hungry and motivated by self-interest over serving their Constituents of course I’m cautious with them.

Do I often doubt something will happen? Yes and I believe most people do. When you understand why I do this it makes sense. When we were trying to purchase a home toward the end of 2017 every time I was so sure we would get the house we put the bid on something would happen to screw it up and we didn’t get that house so we had to continue searching. This happened numerous times and then we came upon the house we own now. When we put the bid in on the house I changed from being optimistic to one of caution. I mentioned that if we get the house then fine. If we don’t get the house then fine and we can continue looking. I was asked why I was being so negative and my response is that I don’t want to be discouraged again. I figure if I am in the mindset of if we get the house it is okay and if we don’t get the house it is okay and we keep looking.

So what happened? We got the house. Since I put my mind on good if we get it and if not we keep looking had we not been able to purchase this house it would have been okay and not a big disappointment. But we did get the house and it brought a larger amount of joy and satisfaction to me.

Let me close with a list of things I enjoy as I feel they are lovely. My family. Watching the sunrise. Watching the sunset. Taking a walk in the park. And many many more. I enjoy a lot of things that people don’t know I enjoy. All they need to do is ask and I will tell them all the things I like and that I feel are lovely things.



No comments:

Post a Comment