August 20, 2018

Take A Walk In My Shoes

Written By:  Andrew Eide

There's a saying "Take a walk in my shoes before you judge me" and what that means is before you condemn others for what they do, or how they act, take a walk in their shows, see and experience what they are dealing with. Let me give you an example.

From the mid-1960's until I left the house when I joined the Navy in February 1972 my father drank heavily. We all just chalked it up to him being an alcoholic.

Many years after I left home and he divorced my mother I visited him and asked him why he drank so much.

Father replied that he has been suffering with a combination of prostate and bone marrow cancer since the mid-1960's and the pain is so intense the only thing in addition to pain medications he was taking was to drink alcoholic beverages to kill the pain.

I asked father why he didn't tell us in the family that he was suffering from cancer and he said he didn't want to burden us with his illness.

I replied that it would have been better for us to know his illness, and his pain, and that he draink to kill the pain, rather than just assume he was a run of the mill alcoholic.

So before you judge others please take the time to find out what is bothering them, what is ailing them, what is stressing them.

Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment