January 23, 2015

I miss being a Contributing Writer to Yahoo!

Written By:  Andrew Eide

I signed up with Yahoo Contributor Network in December 2011 as a way to have fun writing and to contribute to Yahoo Contributor Network.

I had numerous articles published with Yahoo and I appreciate the opportunity they gave me. Some articles were general in nature and were only published on Yahoo! Shine which was their basic posting venue. Other articles were specific where I was asked to write about a particular subject and those were published also in venues like Yahoo! Business and Yahoo! Finance.

You didn't make a lot of money writing for Yahoo! as most of the payments came when you reached 100 page views on a certain article and then they paid you a few Cents. Once in a while they would pay upfront for the article and that was nice. It was a fun adventure for me and not a way to make a profitable living.

Unfortunately in mid-2014 Yahoo! decided to discontinue the Yahoo! Contributor Network so all the writers are no longer allowed to contribute as all links have been taken down and Yahoo Contributor Network accounts have been deactivated.

The worst part is that all the articles we had published are no longer available to view even though they were published on Yahoo! and that frustrates me a bit because I am always applying for writing jobs and they ask for examples of my published work. They don't consider our family blog to be classified as published work. Since I am unable to link to my Yahoo Contributor Network profile where all my articles published by Yahoo! were located I am at a disadvantage in applying for jobs where they want to see examples of my published work.

I'm still looking for work and something will come along soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment