December 10, 2015

My Brother's Birthday

Written By:  Andrew Eide

This month my brother’s birthday arrives. My brother, James (Jim), celebrates his birthday on December 17. This is a very significant event for my brother as he turns the magical 73 years this time around.

My brother is 11 years older than me and 9 years older than our sister, Starr. Due to our age difference I have very few memories of my brother when I was a child. By the time I was old enough to understand what was going on around me he was already enlisted in the United States Air Force. Jim is closer with our sister since they are 9 years apart.

I would like to tell you what my brother did for me back in 2009 when my life was falling apart due to many factors. I lost my job due to the poor economy. I couldn’t pay the mortgage on the house without a job so I lost my house also. My wife died of cancer on July 17, 2009 and my dog, Lucky, who was 14 years and 4 months old, died on July 19, 2009 just two days later.

With nothing left but the clothes on my back and in my closet, two desks, and two computers, I called my sister in Cleveland to ask if she could possibly take me into her home for about one year until I can get back on my feet financially. Unfortunately, due to a previous family situation which didn’t work out, she and my brother in-law had to make the decision that to invite family into their home again was not an option.

I contacted my brother in the San Francisco Bay Area and asked for his advice. Jim immediately offered his home to me by requesting I move back to the Bay Area and live with him until I am financially situated.

At the end of August 2009 I moved back to the San Francisco Bay Area and I resided with Jim and Carol at their home on Bethel Island until things improved financially for me.

Not many family members would do what my brother did for me. So, even though I could make fun of him this month, since he is turning 73 years of age, I will not do that. Well…I don’t do that publicly here in this article anyway…lol


No comments:

Post a Comment