June 13, 2016

I Was Discriminated Against For Being From California

Written By:  Andrew Eide

As most of you know I am a native Californian. I was born in Oakland, California and I lived in Oakland from birth until I graduated from Skyline High School in February 1972 at the age of 18 years and 4 months.

I served in the United States Navy from March 1972 to March 1980. I reenlisted and served 6 more years from March 1983 to March 1989. Then in April 1990 I decided to reenlisted for the last time for a 6 year period to finish out my 20 years in the United States Navy so I could retire and receive a Military Retirement income for the rest of my life.

During my time in the Navy I did three years serving in Washington DC on the Staff of both the Chief of Naval Personnel and the Chief of Naval Operations. When I returned to Active Duty in April 1990 I served all my remaining time in the United States Navy in San Diego, California, where I retired.

During my tours of duty on the East Coast I was constantly discriminated against for being from California. I heard the most vile, evil, and disgusting things said about my home State, the people who live there, and the general lifestyle.

In one instance while living in the State of Connecticut my immediate supervisor was totally disrespecting the State of California so I asked him straight up if he has ever been to California. His response shocked me. He said he has never been outside of the New England States which consists of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Connecticut.

So I told him that I’ve lived in California, Florida, Virginia, and now in Connecticut, and I’ve been in several other States and many other countries. I asked him how he could denounce another State and the people who live there when he has never been there and has no clue what he’s talking about. He had no answer and he never gave me crap again.

So in addition to being discriminated against for being White, Male, and Older, I’ve also been discriminated against for being from California.




No comments:

Post a Comment