November 10, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015

Written By:  Andrew Eide

Today I am going to tell you what Thanksgiving has meant to me. I am not going to try to do what everyone else does which is to explain the early Thanksgiving and how it possibly came to be what we celebrate in this day.

In all honesty trying to equate our current traditions concerning Thanksgiving with that of the early settlers is an act of futility. The settlers were starving to death and wouldn’t have survived without the assistance of Native American Indians assisting them. To compare that to the over-eating and over-abundance we have during our current Thanksgiving celebrations just doesn’t make sense to me.

Growing up our family got together to have the traditional dinner of turkey and ham and all the goodies which go with them. It was a time for us kids to have two weeks vacation from school and for our family to get together and eat too much.

Over the past ten years or so Thanksgiving, for me anyway, has meant a time to count my blessings and attempt to help those who are less fortunate than I am at that point in time. Unfortunately for 2009 through 2011 I was unable to provide food for those less fortunate than me as I was also living on the low end of the economic scale.

This year has been better for me and my family. So this year I am thankful for numerous things.

I am thankful that I receive a monthly Retirement check from the United States Government for retiring from Active Duty in the United States Navy. I am thankful that Becx has a great job where she can use her skills as a Project Coordinator and utilize her vast IT Technical skills. I am thankful that Keira is doing great in school and that she loves going to school. 

Be thankful for all the things you have.



No comments:

Post a Comment