March 1, 2016

March Into March

Written By:  Andrew Eide


I served in the United States Navy from March 1972 until April 1990 when I retired from Active Duty.

Other than when in Boot Camp, which is also called Basic Training, you rarely marched in formation except for special occasions such as a Change of Command Ceremony.

There is a saying for the month of March that IT COMES IN LIKE A LION AND GOES OUT LIKE A LAMB. I guess that was a saying from then I was a kid to indicate that after an interesting Winter you entered into March aggressively but by the time the end of March came around things were peaceful and quiet.

I feel that is an adequate comparison to when I entered Boot Camp to when I graduated and went into the “real” Navy. During Boot Camp you are aggressively pushed around, methods and skills are crammed into your head, so it is as aggressive as a Lion coming after you.

Then when you graduate and go into the “real” Navy you find out that 90 percent of the nonsense you had to endure in Boot Camp went away and real service in the United States Navy begins.

I’m happy I served for 20 years on Active Duty so that I have been collecting a Retirement Income since May 1996 after my retirement. Today I am also fortunate to also collect my Social Security Retirement.

Sometimes the end seems too far away but here I am at the end where I receive two retirement checks and the combined about is more than I made on my last full-time job.


No comments:

Post a Comment