February 23, 2016

One of the Few Things I Love About Our Government

Written By:  Andrew Eide

If you have read my blogs you would know that there is very little I love about our Government. However I wish to share with you one of the things I do love about our Government.

When I turned 2 years of age I decided to draw my Social Security Retirement early because I figure if I wait until the full retirement age of 66 just before I turned 66 the Government would change the full retirement age to maybe 70 and I would lose our several years of benefits.

I figure taking it at age 62 means they cannot take it all away from me as I'm already drawing it. If the funds run low they could reduce my benefits by up to 15 percent but that's as far as they can go.

The item that makes me love our Government is that when you draw Social Security they assume that is your only retirement income. They do not factor in my Military Retirement income to determine a reduction, etc., in the amount I receive from Social Security.

In fact they told me since Keira is under the age of 18 I am eligible to receive supplemental Social Security Benefits for her. This amount is above what I get but it is not counted on my Social Security Retirement account. It is totally for Keira;s benefit. The main purpose is to save for her education but we are allowed to use some of her Social Security benefits for food, clothing, school supplies, and even entertainment. However we are being as frugal as possible as we will be required to make an accounting to the Social Security Administration (SSA) at the end of the year. If too much of her supplemental Social Security benefits have been spent then even with receipts to prove the expenses they may take some, or all, of her benefits away from her. Our goal is to have at least 75 percent of what they sent her in 2016 when we turn in our accounting of how we managed her money.

Today I used some of her Social Security benefits to purchase books at her school's Book Fair. This is to help kids acquire books in their home and to raise money for the school. Keira gave us a list of the books she would like to have. Since we have her Social Security benefits we felt this purchase was within the guidelines for expenses.

You can see the five books I purchased today. Keira really wanted the Journal-Diary with a dog on the front and a lock on the side. When I arrived at the school they had only two of these left and we got one of them and the other went about five minutes later.

The other books are Magic Kitten, Magic Puppy, Lego Elves Activity Book, and Disney Descendants.






No comments:

Post a Comment