September 4, 2016

Disc Golf

Written By:  Andrew Eide

Recently I decided to take up the sport of Disc Golf. There's two reasons for this. I used to play regular golf but the cost is restrictive while Disc Golf is affordable. Here are the comparisons:

Regular golf I would have to pay around $500 for an annual membership at Northwood Country Club which is the least expensive golf course in our area. Then, as a Senior, I would pay around $120 per month for monthly dues. Since a normal round of golf costs $30 to play if I play four rounds of golf I've evened out on my $120 per month. However if I were able to play twice per week for a total of eight times per month I would save $120 over paying Greens Frees each time I play. But that's a lot of money since we have bills to pay.

Disc Golf provides us with three courses, each 18 holes, in our general area so the drive isn't far to play. One is at Alexander Park in Lawrenceville, Georgia, but I don't really like it because the holes are hard to figure out which basket you are aiming for and half the holes are out in the win with the remaining holes in the trees.

East Roswell Park in Roswell, Georgia, is a nice course with most holes playing in the trees. I haven't played there yet but maybe on one of our weekends when Nanay and Keira are at someone's house for a visit Becx and I can go there and see how the course is.

Suwanee Creek Park is where I first saw that our parks system has Disc Golf. The course is entirely in the trees except for the first hole. It is up and down, creeks and side-hill play, but it is a great course. I've played three rounds there and I am getting used to where the discs need to be for better play.

Below are photos I took when my two sets of Disc Golf discs showed up. They are not top-line discs but they work for a beginner like me. The BLUE one is called the Driver and it is for distance, the WHITE one is for accuracy in the mid-range (or fairway) shots, and the RED one is for putting to the basket as it is very stable and good for short distances.

I'm having so much fun and the exercise is great. I'm also saving over $2,000 per year not playing regular golf.






No comments:

Post a Comment