March 7, 2019

Does White Privilege Exist?

Written By:  Andrew Eide



White privilege? Seriously? You think there is White privilege? Let me give you two personal incidents that happened to me while I was living in Oakland, California, and then you tell me I was the benefit of White privilege.

First incident:  I stayed with my mother for a few months in 1982. I would walk to the Fruitvale BART Station in Oakland. Nearly everyone on the platform was smoking cigarettes so I lit up and was smoking. Two BART Police Officers approached me, one Black and one Hispanic, and they told me I am violating the law by smoking on the  BART platform. I told them everyone is smoking, and there are cigarette ash cans everywhere, so why am I being confronted for smoking on the platform. The two officers said smoking is not allowed on BART platforms. They then looked around and said they didn’t see anyone else smoking, only me, and they gave me a $50 Citation. So all the Blacks and Hispanics on the platform smoking were ignored and me, a White male, was issued a citation. Sure great to have White privilege eh?

Second incident:  I saw a job listing in the Oakland Tribune newspaper. They were looking for people to teach “entry level administrative skills” to high school students so they can apply for jobs and have some experience. The only requirements listed for the job were:  (1) You must have at least 5 years work experience in the Administrative field. (2) You must have a desire to teach others Administrative skills. (3) You must be able to type 50 words per minute or faster.

When I called a Black woman answered the phone and talked with me. She asked me my skills and I told her I had 8 years as an Administrative Assistant, I love helping people obtain entry level Administrative skills so they have experience going into a job interview. She then asked about my typing speed. I told her I am around 70 words per minute (which was 20 over their minimum requirement) and I told her I would be willing to take a typing test to verify my speed and accuracy. Her immediate response was:  IF YOU CAN’T TYPE 50 WORDS PER MINUTE OR MORE WE DON’T WANT YOU!!! Then she slammed the phone and hung up on me. Never gave me a chance to take a typing skills test. Sure great to have White privilege eh?

In my 42 years of working I’ve never obtained a job due to being White. I’ve never obtained a job for being a White Male. I’ve never received any special benefits for being White. I have, though, been discriminated in job hiring, promotions, etc., for being White.

Yeah, sure is great to have White privilege eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment