October 16, 2016

Hanging Over the Caldecott Tunnel

Written By:  Andrew Eide

The Caldecott Tunnel connects Oakland to the Orinda, Moraga, Lafayette, Walnut Creek areas. We usually got to the Caldecott Tunnel by driving up Highway 13 and when we arrived at Highway 24 we took it East toward Orinda, Moraga, Lafayette, and Walnut Creek areas.

Back when I was a little boy there was only one tunnel. By the time I was a teen there were two tunnels. Today there are three. The incident I’m going to tell you about today happened when I was maybe 16 or 17 years of age and it concerns the original tunnel on the Orinda side of the Caldecott Tunnel.

As you exit the original Caldecott Tunnel on the Orinda side there is a covering over the exit. It is not a solid structure it is a system of open steel beams. If you climb out onto those steel beams you can look down and about 30 feet below you is the traffic exiting the Caldecott Tunnel on Highway 24.

On this evening my friend Steve drove us through the Caldecott Tunnel and he took the first exit. He parked and asked me to take a walk with him. The next thing I know we are walking on the steel beams above the traffic on Highway 24. We sat on the beams for a few minutes before I realized if I were to fall I would fall onto Highway 24 and probably get killed by the cars hitting me.

I quickly got off the steel beams and I’ve never attempted a stupid stunt like that again.



No comments:

Post a Comment