October 18, 2016

Riding My Honda 50 Motor Scooter Down a Steep Hill

Written By:  Andrew Eide

My first motorized vehicle after owning many pedal bikes was a Honda 50 Motor Scooter very similar to the one in the photo above. It was very basic, had a 5 horsepower engine, and the top speed was around 50 miles per hour I did get it up to 70 miles per hour several times coasting down Sequoia Road in Oakland near where I lived at 4263 Saint Andrews Road.

My best friend Steve lived in Oakland in the Montclair District near the city of Piedmont. Some of our friends lived in the steep hills toward the upper end of Broadway Terrace which was a street that ran from the College District of Oakland up into the Oakland Hills just shy of Highway 13.

One our friends lived nearly at the top of Broadway Terrace. At that point the road was very steep. When I say steep it was like the section of Sequoia Road near where I lived on Saint Andrews Road. That section of Sequoia Road was so steep that when I owned a 1950 VW Beetle I often had to stop and shift into 1st gear to make it up the steep hill. When I rode the city bus to get to Skyline High School the bus couldn’t make it up the steep part of Sequoia Road so we had to get out and push the bus up the hill. That’s how steep this section of Broadway Terrace is.

On this day on our way down Broadway Terrace from our friend’s house I was on my Honda 50 Motor Scooter and Steve was on his 50 cc motorcycle. As we are going downhill on the steep incline we rounded a corner and I wasn’t able to remain on the road due to the downhill speed and the tightness of the curve. I hit a patch of gravel and immediately felt my Motor Scooter sliding and tipping over.

I maintained as best I could and when the bike landed on its side I remember I was standing on top of it like a Surfer does standing on a surfboard riding a wave. After about 30 to 40 feet my bike slid to a stop. I was okay but the bike had some damage but nothing that kept it from working properly.

To this day if I am driving a motorcycle I take extreme caution to avoid another situation like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment