October 25, 2016

Starting a Fire on Porter Street

Written By:  Andrew Eide

You may remember the blog I wrote about Porter Street and Redding Street being taken out from behind our house on 4022 Fullington Street in Oakland to make way for I-580 Freeway.

After the homes on Porter Street were bought up and vacant, waiting to be torn down, me and my friends would walk over to Porter Street and rummage around the closed homes. This was when I was 7 or 8 years of age.
 
On this day we went into a home on Porter Street that was basically behind our back fence on Fullington Street. We walked around inside the house and we found a can of cleaning fluid. We figured it might be flammable so we poured some of it on a rag we found inside the house and lit the rag on fire.

Being the dumb kids we were we failed to realize that leaving the can of cleaning fluid open means the fumes were all over the place. The instant the rag caught fire so did the fumes from the can of cleaning fluid and next thing we knew the can blew up and started the house on fire.

We ran out of the house and to my home and my friend called the fire department and they put the fire out. They never knew it was us so we never got caught but I learned a valuable lesson that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment